Restaurants in Koh Chang are an important part of the business community. Koh Chang restaurants serve local residents and support Thailand’s tourism industry, serving tens of thousands of Thai and foreign tourists every year.
Restaurants in Koh Chang can also help the island save energy and protect natural resources by joining the Koh Chang Restaurant Bar Program, which promotes energy conservation and recycling.
Joining the program is easy. Just follow our eco-friendly tips for Koh Chang Restaurants and you will immediately start saving energy and money, while protecting the environment.
Send us photos and details about your eco-friendly activities and we’ll promote your restaurant for free on the EcoChang.com website, our media kits, and our press releases!
Koh Chang Eco Restaurant Tips
Thailand: How to Save Energy
1) Keep air-conditioners set at 25C and use fans to keep rooms feeling cooler.
2) Keep restaurant refrigerators full. A full refrigerator uses less electricity.
3) Turn on lights only when needed, and replace old lights with energy efficient lights such as halogen incandescents, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), and light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
4) Unplug electric restaurant equipment like blenders when not in use.
5) Use solar garden lights outside your restaurant.
6) Convert organic waste into bio-fuel which can be used for cooking.
7) Use beer condoms to keep customers’ beer bottles cold.
8) Post signs around your restaurant reminding staff to save energy.
Thailand: How to Save Natural Resources & the Environment
1) Recycle bottles, cans, and plastics.
2) Wash glasses and other items with chemical free soaps and detergents.
3) Buy locally grown fruits, vegetables, garnishes, and herbs whenever possible and grow your own.
4) Compost organic waste. Citrus fruits take longer to compost than other food scraps, but if you cut them up they will compost faster.
5) Store rainwater for use in washing dishes and watering plants.
6) Think up creative uses for empty beer and liquor bottles. For example, use them as vases and reuse them as drink mix containers.
7) Sell draft beer to reduce the number of empty, discarded beer bottles.
8) Purchase tables and chairs which have been built from recycled materials.
9) Use cotton towels instead of paper towels.
10) Use recycled coasters instead of paper bar napkins.
11) Place straws in drinks only if they are asked for by the customer. Use reusable swizzle sticks.
12) Cut up wine corks to make bar items like beer coasters.
13) Organize weekly cleaning efforts to ensure that the public areas around your restaurant are kept clean and free of garbage.
14) Establish regular checks to ensure that eco-practices are being followed.
Have a suggestion that we didn’t include above? Tell us! We will feature your suggestion and your restaurant at EcoKohChang.com